Editing annotations

Questions, comments and suggestions concerning VintaSoft Imaging .NET SDK.

Moderator: Alex

yannisk

Editing annotations

Post by yannisk »

Hello. We are evaluating VintaSoft Imaging .NET SDK & Plug-ins and there seems to be a problem with annotations in pdf.
I have used VintaSoft Annotation Demo v8.3 to add an annotation to a pdf file and then save it. Then i open the saved pdf file with acrobat reader, move the annotation to another position and save it again (this time with acrobat reader). Finally, i reopen the pdf file with VintaSoft Annotation Demo, but the annotation is shown in its old position! Now acrobat reader and Annotation Demo show the annotation in different positions!
Is this a bug in Annotation Demo, a bug in acrobat reader, or i am doing something wrong? I have tried changing PDF Encoder Settings when i save the pdf file, but i had no luck. Maybe should i select some specific combination in the settings when i save the file or is it impossible an annotation to be edited by both acrobat reader and VintaSoft SDK?
I can send you the "problematic" pdf file if you like.
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Editing annotations

Post by Alex »

Hello,

Each PDF annotation consists from annotation data and annotation appearance. When you add annotation to PDF document using our SDK, SDK creates annotation packet (binary or XMP) with annotation data and stores annotation packet in PDF page. Also SDK creates PDF apperance for annotation. Created PDF appearance is used by PDF viewers like Adobe Reader and others. Our viewer ignores PDF apperance of "our" annotations and generates new annotation appearance on the fly from annotation data.

When you moving annotation in Adobe Reader, you are moving annotation PDF appearance but not changing annotation data. After opening updated PDF document in our viewer you see "not moved" annotation because, as I said before, our viewer ignores PDF appearance and generates it on the fly from annotation data.

In version 8.4 we plan to improve our algorithm and SDK will use PDF appearance for any annotation.

Best regards, Alexander
yannisk

Post by yannisk »

Hello.
Thanks for the information, now i understand why this happens. I believe that changing the SDK to use PDF appearance would be a nice feature. Is there an estimation when version 8.4 will be released?

With regards
Yannis
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hello Yannis,

We plan to release version 8.4 in the second quarter of this year.

Best regards, Alexander