Large color tifs

Questions, comments and suggestions concerning VintaSoft Twain .NET SDK.

Moderator: Alex

ddrew_bolt

Large color tifs

Post by ddrew_bolt »

Hello,

I am seeing very large file sizes when saving color images to a multipage tif using anything other than JPG compression.
Example..
2 pages scanned Letter size, color, 300 dpi =

48MB (no compression)
34MB (LZW)
30MB (Zip)
2.8MB (JPG)

I've tried scanning with a Kodak 1220 and a Panasonic 2026 with similar results. Scanned and saved the files using the "TwainAdvancedDemo" app that came with the latest VintaSoftTwain.NET release (ver 8.2).

The problem with JPG compression is at least on XP stations, the images can't be viewed using the native Windows image viewer, which they need to be.
Any tips on getting the file size down using the other compression types?
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Large color tifs

Post by Alex »

Hello,
The problem with JPG compression is at least on XP stations, the images can't be viewed using the native Windows image viewer, which they need to be.
Windows XP and earlier do not support TIFF files with JPEG and ZIP compressions, it's a known issue.

I am seeing very large file sizes when saving color images to a multipage tif using anything other than JPG compression.
Size of image depends from the content of image. Please try to save image using another applications, for example, Irfan Viewer, Adobe Photoshop, and compare sizes.

Best regards, Alexander